Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Cross

(10/15/03 journal entry)

Nothing holds the power that is contained in the cross. Nothing compares to the change it causes, the freedom it brings, or all that it reveals about God. He has chosen to hinge all of history and our understanding of Deity on this one thing: Christ and him crucified. So many spiritual chasings draw our attention but only one thing brings true change.

Paul was fixated on the cross. When I went to the Southern Baptist Pastors' Conference in Jacksonville a few years ago, I was struck by the centrality of the cross in the messages delivered by these great pastors. I need the cross to be central in my own life. I need the dying to self that it encourages, the grace that it provides and the freedom from sin that it promises.

There is something deep and hidden in the cross that is incredibly appealing - always more to be revealed. Lord, show me the cross anew today.

No comments: