Sunday, March 23, 2008

Goodwill Goldmine #1

Vanessa and I made a little trip out of state this weekend. Now that she has started eBaying children's books, it's a prerequisite when we go out of town that we stop at a Goodwill. If I have ever been glad to go to a thrift store, it was this time! This Goodwill had THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of used CDs. As I shuffled through their shelves of unorganized discs, I found about thirty albums that are on my "To Buy" list... and there was one set of shelves I didn't even touch! Unfortunately, my conscience would only allow me to buy eight (and one of them turned out to be a DVD). I will be back as soon as I am able. In the meantime, here is my first "Goodwill Goldmine" mix.

1. Bullet the Blue Sky - U2
2. Dry the Rain - The Beta Band
3. Rattled by the Rush - Pavement
4. What's the Frequency, Kenneth? - R.E.M.
5. Even Flow - Pearl Jam
6. Squares - The Beta Band
7. Ballad in Plain Red - Derek Webb
8. Drive - R.E.M.
9. Grounded - Pavement
10. Jeremy - Pearl Jam
11. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
12. Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.
13. I Repent - Derek Webb
14. Man on the Moon - R.E.M.

By the way - I am not revealing the location of my very special budget CD source! Sorry!

(I obviously do not listen to only Christian music. I am a mild audiophile and love music of all sorts, especially artists whose work have provided a soundtrack for my generation, my life personally and especially my faith. The vast majority of the music I listen to is 100% clean, but every so often a song will have a distasteful word in it. I have wrestled with the place of "secular" music in my life for years and have come to believe that whether or not a Christian should listen to it is a personal decision that has to be made with a person's maturity and ease of influence in mind. There was a time in the development of my faith when I needed to set non-Christian music and its influence aside. However, I'm not a kid anymore and my faith is founded. When I listen to music made by non-Christian artists, I try to understand their view of a world that is not Christ-centered; I believe it helps me keep from becoming blind to the state of the world around me. I love good music and I enjoy posting my playlists, but they are compiled with my tastes and personal standards in mind, not those of younger Christians.)

No comments: