Saturday, June 21, 2008

BFIT - Resources for Intimacy

On June 22nd I preached the fourth sermon of our BFIT series. Intimacy was my topic and below I have posted several resources that I mentioned from stage.

I first read Richard Foster's book "Celebration of Discipline" as a ministry student at Emmanuel College.  I remember reading it while working at the cash register at our local  Chinese restaurant... and it significantly impacted me!  (I'm glad its effects outlasted those of the food!)  This book has become a Christian classic and I highly recommend putting it in your library.






I picked up Bob Sorge's book "Secrets of the Secret Place" at a prayer conference in Tallahassee several years ago and have picked it up again and again for use in my devotional time with the LORD.  This book is written in very short chapters that fall into larger sections, which make it easy to read, put down and come back to again.  The short chapters also make this book a great companion to your devotional Bible reading.  Remember - Bob Sorge is coming to Heritage in September and you can pick up this book and others by him  when he is with us.  If you wait until he comes, more of the proceeds will most likely benefit him directly.



In the first draft of my message I included quotes from A.W. Tozer's book "Knowledge of the Holy," but upon further editing chose to take them out due to time and focus.  However, I highly recommend this book - it's one of the most impacting books I've ever read.  Don't let it's short length fool you; this little gem is CHOCKED FULL of insight into the person of God.  It can be read a chapter a day as a supplement to devotional Bible reading, but I promise you that each chapter will have to be reread in order to even begin to soak in its truth.  I also recommend Tozer's "Pursuit of God."


One final book I would like to suggest (but did not mention in my message) is "Ordering Your Private World" by Gordon McDonald.  This author writes with conviction about the need to put the part of our lives that others cannot see in order.  This book is a little longer than the Tozer or Sorge books, but it's not difficult to read.






You can order any of these books by visiting http://www.amazon.com or other online book retailers.

Just for fun, I have embedded the YouTube video of Tim Hawkins' bit on praying for junk food.  You can go to YouTube and search under his name for several other clips of his material from his DVD "Full Range of Motion."


No comments: